Judgement Day



Dan, Ali and I had our first trip to the neighborhood playground yesterday. I’ve been to this playground before, but as an outsider. I’m now an official resident so I need to be recognized as a member of society. I meticulously picked her outfit; she needed to look cute, but not make it seem like we are trying too hard. It also needs to be playground and weather appropriate. It was a difficult task I know, we ended up with black leopard shorts, matching hair clip and a tank top – this is Jersey after all. Ali ditched the hair clip on the walk over and I had no back up, already we were off to a bad start. We arrived after 4PM and even though its late in the day it’s still almost 90 degrees. We’re all sweating profusely and I quickly learned that Ali’s shorts are a smidge too big and keep falling down. Couple that with lack of a hair accessory, the heat, and the new revelation that her face likes to turn bright red in blotches when she’s hot. This isn’t going so well.

Of course her first act is to slide down the slide. On our way up we see a girl about her age with her grandmother. I say Hi and they ask how old Ali is. I say “2 ½”. My husband looks at me with dagger eyes and hastily corrects me and says “27 months”! I later got yelled at because those three months make a huge difference developmentally, he thought I was purposely setting her up for failure. So now that everyone thinks she’s 2.5 Dan’s got something to prove. He keeps announcing that Ali is going down the slide and says “ONE” and Ali would follow with “to, tee” and Dan would stand by proud of his counting 27 month old. I just went with it since this was obviously all my fault. Then Ali gets daring and thinks she can walk down the slide. She slid about ¾ of the way down, stood up and face-planted on the bottom of the slide. She’s tough so I don’t react and she’s fine. If I did react she’d play for the crowd (I know she’s a drama queen). Ali was fine; not even a bruise but I heard the gasps from the peanut gallery of moms on the bench. Now I feel dubbed as a “bad mom” or “I don’t love my kid” because I don’t brush her hair, buy clothes that fit or care that she falls on her already red face. This is getting worse by the second.

I decided to move over to the swings with a much younger baby. Maybe her mom wouldn’t judge Ali’s development because she won’t know the milestones (I’m a genius). So I say hi to the mom ask the babies name and age. The mom replies “she’s 13 months” and in the same breath she says “but she doesn’t walk yet!”  Have I found a kindred spirit?  A mom who is so self-conscious that everyone is looking at her thinking her baby should be doing more? I told her it was OK Ali didn’t walk until she was 16 months (I didn’t share with her that Ali broke her leg, no one needs to know that).  I’m so excited I think I’ve made a friend and her baby is super cute (I only befriend mothers of cute babies). These particular swings unfortunately are in direct sunlight and I’m dying; you can see the sweat pouring off my face. I tell my new friend I’m dying and going to go in the shade. She looks at me and says nervously “yeah it’s way too hot” then grabs her baby and leaves the park. What? Oh no, I think she may have read me being too hot as “you’re a bad mom for keeping your non-walking 13 months old in the sun!” Which was not what I was saying. We all decided to go home after that.

I think I should stop being so hard on myself. I don’t judge others so why should I think they are judging me? (We’re having an Oprah moment here). I’ll try the park again tomorrow, but Ill be more careful on the slide and bring back up hair accessories. 

2 comments:

  1. I have a question for you. How and what age did she break her leg? My 4 year old broke his leg while he was staying with my mom for the may long weekend. She had just bought a trampoline and was letting him fool around on it with my older brother and his wife. Not sure entirely how it happened. The Cast clinic wanted to wait 2 weeks to put the cast on but since it was a green fracture and there wasn't any swelling we fought until they put it on 2 days later. I got the worst look from other people, especially parents, who must have been wondering how this little guy could have broken his leg. He had a cast from his ankle to 1/2 way up his thigh. I felt like the worst mom for "letting" this happen. Luckily he only had to wear it for 3 weeks, but he still walks around saying to strangers "my leg is all better" (he is very outgoing and friendly and want to say hi and talk to EVERYONE) How did other people react when you took her out in public?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the worst! She was only 10 months and she fell off the bed while I was getting dressed. It took 8 hours in the ER for everyone to figure out that it was her leg. The only comforting thing was every doctor, nurse, or aid that came in shared a story of how their kid fell off of something when they were her age.
    The only lucky part was that it was winter so I was able to get pants over the cast but I definitely felt the looks. Almost like "someone should take this baby from her because obviously she doesn't know how to take care of it".
    It was the longest three weeks of my life! I wouldn't let anyone take pictures or anything, But the other day I was uploading all my videos onto the computer and I found my husband filmed her leg in secret while I was at work! It's funny now when you look back but you know how stressful it was.

    ReplyDelete